Saturday, July 30, 2011

Blogger Spotlight - Shine By Three


Margaret Zhang is an exceptional fashion blogger and outfit post princess. Not only does she style herself to perfection, she often uses a tripod to take her own photos (amazing right?!). Margaret's achievements in the fashion industry are building up and up, day after day. Combining her styling talent with a contagious personality, she's definitely a little piece of magic in the blogging world.


1. When did you start SHINE BY THREE and what made you want to start a personal style blog?
I started Shine By Three halfway through 2009. I hadn't intended it to be a personal style blog - it had been more of a visual diary at the time - and didn't particularly know of the ones out there. I did notice, though, that the readers I had at the time appreciated my outfit posts and other original content more than anything else, so it has moved in that direction since then. I do still love doing interviews and collabs with up-and-coming designers though! Always the best kind.

2. What have you gained most since entering the "blogosphere"?
Definitely inspiration from the incredible people I come across both online and in the work that I've been able to do because of my blogging - there is always someone with an incredible, eclectic background (yes I did find someone once who had also done Commerce/Law and ended up in fashion - yes it did make me feel better about life).

3. Where do you find your inspiration?
It sounds awful and cheesy, but it's fairly accurate to say that I find my inspiration in my surroundings. Say, for example, if I appreciate the colour of a bus-stop ad one day, I'll go on a hunt for that colour in whatever new, vintage, fabric swatch, etc. I can find, then build my entire wardrobe around it day after day till it falls to pieces.

4. What are your Top 3 Australian Labels?
Paper Skye, Magdalena Velevska, NEUW Denim.

5. If you could travel to any place in the world for a holiday, where would you go and why?
I promised some village children in Costa Rica that I would go back and visit them in 2017 - this definitely needs to happen. But in the mean time, I would absolutely love to do a proper, thorough comb of Europe: emphasis on backstreets, flea markets and street food. Next February I'm headed to New York for NYFW and general workingness with talented people in the area, so I can't complain! I feel like I'll be consistently broke for the next 10 years of my life though :)

6. If you could pick 5 items off MHQ right now, which would they be?
1. Stylestalker Melrose Dress - I would have absolutely nowhere to wear it to because I'm boring and don't go on glamorous vacations, but if I had a white apartment, I'd frame it on my wall.
2. For Love and Lemons Wednesday Skirt - the tiers are wonderfully reminiscent of a perfect almost-fishtail shape
3. MINKPINK Dreamwalker Palazzo Pants - it's not a secret that me and wide-leg pants are having a bit of a momento
4. SKINS Zig Zag Boots - I've been eyeing these for a while. They look obscenely comfortable
5. MARKET Bianca Berry Floppy Hat - because I.. totally... don't own enough hats...

7. Where do you hope to see yourself in 5 years time?
I'll be in the last semester of my Law degree - though I'm secretly hoping that Fashion will have picked me up and thrown me somewhere exotic in the world before too long! Always blogging, always dancing and always meeting new people.



xMHQx

No comments:

Post a Comment