5 cups lightly salted and buttered popcorn, popped (about a bag of microwave popcorn)
1/3 cup whole almonds
1/3 cup light brown sugar, packed
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 tablespoon light corn syrup
1/8 teaspoon salt (a pinch!)
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Place the popped popcorn into a shallow, greased baking pan. (I used a jelly roll pan.) Sprinkle the almonds on top of the popcorn and set aside.
2. Preheat the oven to 250°.
3. In a skillet, combine the brown sugar, corn syrup, butter and salt.
4. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium heat, stirring to blend the ingredients together. Once the mixture begins to boil, boil for 5 minutes while stirring constantly.
5. Remove from the heat, and stir in the baking soda and vanilla.
6. Immediately pour the caramel sauce over over the popcorn, and stir to coat. (Don’t be too worried about the popcorn not being completely coated at this point.)
7. Bake for 1 hour, removing the pan, and giving it a good stir every 15 minutes.
8. Line the counters with waxed paper.
9. Pour the caramel corn out onto the waxed paper and separate into pieces. Allow to cool completely, then enjoy or store in airtight containers.